Schumacher’s Chiang Mai Dragon is one of the best-loved fabrics and definitely a personal favourite. Lisa Jo at Princess Perfect was kind enough to give me a remnant and I’m going to use it on the inside back of a small wing chair I’m currently reupholstering. My next task is to select a coordinating fabric for the rest of the chair. Using Photoshop Elements 6.0, I’ve created a collage to showcase a few of the fabrics in the running. They’re displayed next to my wing chair over which I’ve draped the Chiang Mai Dragon remnant (Alabaster colourway). According to the Schumacher website: “Chiang Mai Dragon was originally derived from an exuberant 1920’s Art Deco era block print.” Here’s a description of the other fabric contenders:
- Option 1: In fashion and decor, mixing patterns is de rigueur. In this case; however, I think a solid is needed directly adjacent to such a wildly colourful print. Still, I just had to show off the perfectly matching hues in Joanne/JF Fabrics’ Roxbury, a cotton velvet. Maybe I can use it for a throw pillow instead?
- Option 2: Is grey still the new black? Threadcount’s solid cotton velvet really sets off the multicoloured print. The thing is, I already have a chair reupholstered in this luxe fabric. On to Option 3.
- Option 3: A black/brown weave from Joanne/JF Fabrics’ Winning Weaves . At 75,000 Double Rubs, this has astronomical durability, and it’s washable, too. I think it picks up the outlines in the Dragon print and it won’t show the dirt (considering the chair will be shared by 2 humans and 3 fur kids!) I also like the weave texture next to the linen texture of the print – they’re relatable.
- Option 4: Joanne/JF Fabrics’ Capri in a vibrant blue. It really pops, but I think it’s a bit too much and may take away from our dragon’s roar.
- Option 5: I just had to include this licorice red because it picked up the reds in our print so well. It’s Joanne/JF Fabric’s Houdini – a faux leather that I’m hoping I’ll get to use on another project.
Which fabric will I choose? I have no idea. Stay tuned for the reveal in days to come.